Friday, September 3, 2010

Making Friends in a new School

      We moved to Texas in June and we knew that it was going to be a short stay for us. The kids had a wonderful summer and made some buddies with the kids in the neighborhood. Then school started. My oldest started high school this year, I was a little worried. I soon realized that he was going to do great and he has. He is very out going and made some new friends the first day. My youngest started first grade this year and I  was a little unsure how she would do as she tends to be shy, but very big hearted. She also came home the first day and told me all about a little girl in her class that was sad and she made friends with. And as the first two weeks of school has come and gone she has made more friends. 
       Now my 10 year old has been a different story. He is very friendly and loves to be a little clown, but up until this year he has kind of fallen under is big brothers shadow. His older brothers friends would bring their little brother over to the house and they would all hang out together. The teachers and kids at their old school knew him by his big brother. Now he has to make friends all on his own. It broke my heart when he came home during the first week of school and I could see the worry in his eyes. He had made one friend with another little boy who was also new this year, but my son has been a very social little boy and he felt that no one wanted to get to know him. I told him that it would take some time, but that if he stayed true to who he is that the kids in his class would definitely want to know more about him.  Now that the end of the second week of school is coming he has brightened up some and has talked about playing football during recess. I know that he will be fine and make friends here, but as his mom those moments when he felt lost I felt lost with him.

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment